A two-CD benefit album for former Replacements guitarist Slim Dunlap will be released on Nov. 11.
The album is titled Rockin’ Here Tonight: A Benefit Compilation For Slim Dunlap.
Disc one includes all of the songs from the Songs For Slim benefit EPs and singles that were released and auctioned over the past year. Artists include Jeff Tweedy, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Frank Black, Craig Finn and John Doe.
A second CD features heretofore unreleased tracks by The Jayhawks’ pseudonymous LP.ORG, Soul Asylum, The Young Fresh Fellows, Peter Holsapple (The dB’s) and more.
The recordings that were auctioned off have raised about $200,000 according to Pitchfork. The money goes to help Slim, who suffered a debilitating stroke.
Here’s an update from Slim’s wife Chrissie Dunlap that appeared on Pitchfork:
“His comfort has been interrupted by many trips to the hospital, but his will to live is strong. His mantra is ‘Fight, fight, fight.’ All of us who love him are fighting with, and for, him. His strength, along with the love and support of so many wonderful friends and fans, has kept him going. Slim is so grateful for the Songs For Slim project and takes great joy in listening to his songs performed by some of his favorite musicians and friends. The revenue from the project has saved us from financial ruin, enabled us to hire nursing help and therapists, and helped to make him as comfortable as possible. Slim and the family send our love and gratitude to New West and everyone involved in the project, and everyone who bought a song for Slim. Special thanks to our long time friend, Peter Jesperson, who worked tirelessly to produce Songs for Slim, and to whom we are eternally grateful.”
Disc 1 (The 45s)
1. Busted Up (The Replacements)
2. Radio Hook Word Hit (Chris Mars)
3. Times Like This (Steve Earle)
4. Isn’t It? (Craig Finn & Friends)
5. Partners In Crime (Lucinda Williams)
6. Nowheres Near (Tommy Keene )
7. Rockin Here Tonight (The Minus 5 feat. Curtiss A)
8. Cozy (Tim O’Reagan & Jim Boquist)
9. Ain’t No Fair (In A Rock ‘N’ Roll Love Affair) (Jakob Dylan)
10. Taken On The Chin (Joe Henry)
11. Just For The Hell Of It (John Doe)
12. From The Git Go (Deer Tick + Scott Lucas + Vanessa Carlton)
13. The King & Queen (Frank Black & The Suicide Commandos)
14. Ain’t Exactly Good (You Am I)
15. Hate This Town (Patterson Hood)
16. Loud Loud Loud Loud Guitars (The Young Fresh Fellows)
17. The Ballad Of The Opening Band (Jeff Tweedy)
18. From The Git Go (Lucero)
Disc 2 (unreleased bonus tracks)
1. Laugh It Up (it’s all a big joke anyway) (Peter Holsapple)
2. Girlfiend (John Eller)
3. Little Shiva’s Song (Soul Asylum)
4. Slim’s Place (The Young Fresh Fellows)
5. Two By Two (Bee, Louie & Brien)
6. When I Fall Down (Chris Mars)
7. Chrome Lipstick (Chan Poling)
8. Times Like This (Frankie Lee)
9. The Ballad Of The Opening Band (LP.ORG)
10. Love Lost (The West Saugerties Ale & Quail Club feat. John Sebastian)
Dave Pirner of Soul Asylum talks about Slim: